Friday, August 19, 2011

Comparison Shopping.

They're messing with my mind at the grocery store again.  I just got finished figuring out which is the better deal, one 2 litre bottle of  Diet Coke for a dollar or a 12 pack of cans for $2.50. (It was a sale) Now they have gone and brought out a 1.25 litre bottle of Coke and are trying to confuse me more. It's ninety-eight cents and the litre is back to $1.25. and there is more than half of the two- litre in the new bottle and the ounces are on there and there are fractions of them and who the heck knows what a litre is anyway??!! This isn't Canada, people!---Oh, sorry.  Math makes me cranky.

The kids' clothes are right next to the soft drinks. My granddaughter wears a 6.  I think.  Or is it 6X?  What does that mean anyway?  And what, pray tell, is the difference between size 3 and 3T in kids' clothes? Does T stand for Toddler?  Size 3 kids aren't toddlers.  Maybe the X is for extra smart (she is my granddaughter, after all) or extra energetic. That would fit too. I think they are all the same and they are just trying to confuse me

They are doing this on purpose. Take toilet paper.  They have rolls, double rolls that are the equivalent of two rolls, and mega-rolls which hold the same as the amount in a bushel basket should you unroll it, which my dog has done before, and yet somehow there will still be an empty cardboard tube on the holder after the grandkids have been here.  They are in four, nine, maybe sixteen to the packages, equal to eight, thirty-two or, I don't know, five hundred and forty of the other guy's toilet paper. So how do you know which package is  the best bargain? And here's what disturbs me: If Target has a sale on a twelve-pack of  toilet paper, Wal-Mart will match the price. However, Wal-Mart doesn't carry  a twelve-pack, only a nine or sixteen.

I NEED to compare things.  It's in my blood.  If lettuce is priced by the head instead of by the pound I will stand there balancing one in each  hand to see which is heavier before I choose one to be sure I'm getting the most for my money.  I know there's a scale in the produce department somewhere, but have you ever found it?  And don't get me started on watermelons. Seedless are smaller but they are the same price as the seeded ones.  Is it worth the money to pick the seeds out?  And how much do those seeds weigh anyway?

Which is cheaper?  To pay sixty-nine cents for fifteen ounces of sauerkraut and throw half of it out because who in their right minds besides Dennis wants to even smell the stuff let alone eat it, or sixty-nine cents for an eight ounce can?  Mushrooms shrink-wrapped in a nice package of eight ounces for $2.98 or 3 mushrooms you put into a bag yourself for $5.98 a pound?  You know you might not even use all three but it's twice as much per pound!

Aldi's sells their plums, peaches and other fruit by the piece: 25 cents each when there's a good sale.  I'm supposed to weigh out a pound, (where IS that scale?) which is how they are priced at the other store, count how many kumquats there are and divide it into the price (or is it divide price per pound into the number of kumquats?)  I don't think so.

Yes, I'm the annoying woman in the check-out line with all the "comp prices" so the checker has to re-price seven or so of my items to match the competitions ads. From three different stores. That lady behind me with the cart full of groceries and melting ice cream who is seems to have something in her throat can just go get in another line. She doesn't need to be in the "Twenty Items or Less" line anyway. Honey, I can compare the number of things in your cart to mine with just a glance.

I'm pretty sure it's a myth but I've heard you can work out stress by exercising so I'm stopping on the way home from the store to go ride the exercise bike.  It has a great electronic screen on it to tell you all kinds of facts about your workout like your heart rate and how few calories you are burning.  If I want to know how far I have ridden it says "miles or kilometers used".

Somebody help me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment