Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's My Birthday

Today is my birthday so here's what I'm thinking:  A fire in the fireplace, an old movie---I've got "North By Northwest" recorded on the DVR---the dog curled up in my lap, and  I'll just laze there all day. All the other stuff can wait for today. After I let the dog out, of course.  And put down his food and fresh water. And feed the cat and scoop the litter box. And I may as well empty the dishwasher as long as I'm in the kitchen.

I'll have to go get the firewood, of course. And build the fire.  But then I'll lie down on the couch and enjoy the crackling of the flames.  Of course, I have to get dressed if I'm going outside to get the wood.  It would be nice to lounge around in my pajamas all day but it's pretty cold outside, so I'll get dressed.

If I'm already up and dressed, we might as well go on up to the church and ride the bikes like we are supposed to do on Wednesdays.  I kind of thought about taking today off, but the doctor told Dennis yesterday his good cholesterol was down and he needed to exercise more and that is about all the exercise he gets so I don't want to miss it.

We can drive through and get coffee (and my Diet Coke) on the way home.  I guess I'll make breakfast once we get back after I take a shower.  But after I clean up the kitchen I will lie on the couch and watch the fire.  Except for letting the dog in and out about every fifteen minutes it will be very restful. Unless Dennis drops something and can't see where it is to pick it up.  His fingers are pretty stiff with arthritis these days and he drops things a lot.

And then I'll lay on the couch and think about past birthdays.  I've had so many now I can't remember them all.  Some stand out.  Like the time I was ten and had long hair which caught fire when I leaned over the cake to blow out the candles. Luckily my grown cousin was in town from Arizona and he was sitting next to me. He whacked me in the head till the flames were gone. That may explain some things that go on in my head sometimes. Not sure about that.

Dennis has given me a few birthday parties in my time and the thought was very sweet, but let me go on record to say:  Women are not as thrilled about being reminded of their ages as men might think.  Just have the family over, take me out to dinner and give me a nice present.  You don't have to announce to the whole church and neighborhood that I am passing another decade, thanks anyway.  A friend of ours rented that big bull on his wife's birthday, you know, the one the size of a school bus, that they used to have outside Western Sizzlin', and put a sign on it saying "Happy Birthday 50th Birthday Arlene" and set it on the side of the main road to their house.  Had I been she, the next day's headlines may have read "Man Mysteriously Crushed By Plastic Bull". I'm pretty sure Dennis knows better than that by this time.

So I'll get calls from the out-of-town kids and my sisters, lots of greetings on Facebook, though some people aren't sure if they are wishing Dennis or me a good day, since our Facebook page is in both our names, and maybe go out with the in-town kids for dinner.  And hugs from the grand kids.  What more can I ask for? I think it will be a very good birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment