Friday, August 31, 2012

Pushing My Buttons

     It would be nice if I could work the buttons on my car radio. It used to be easy: turn the dial, pull the button out, push the button in. Bingo, you drive down the road listening to Vivaldi, or Beethoven, or okay, back when I could work the buttons, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones (who may or may not be dead by now but their semi-preserved bodies are still touring and probably being made to appear alive by electric jolts from the amps behind them.) I, at least, have moved on.
     Now, the car radio manufacturers have "fixed" what wasn't broken and I don't even know the first thing about it. You can't even dial; you have to push "Search" or "Seek" and be quick enough to pounce on it when you find your station. Of course, if they are on a commercial you don't know what station it is, so you keep on pushing the "Seek" or "Search" button (I never know which one I'm supposed to use) passing up the one you were looking for, until you make the circuit from 88.1 to 109.9 and have to go around again. And even then I find it I don't know how to make it stay. Oh! Am I supposed to be watching the road?
     The people from whom we purchased our car gave us the lovely gift of satellite radio.  They probably didn't realize they had paid for it for infinity, but now we have it and I was excited when I finally found the Classical music site. I left it there. I had already found, through much button pushing, the FM classical station broadcasting from the University of Tulsa on the regular radio, so, voila! Two stations I could listen to. There is one button that lets me toggle back and forth between those two.
     One caveat: this works as long as nobody moves anything. If one of them is playing something I'm not fond of, say an Aaron Copeland composition which, I'm sorry, sounds to me like the Country & Western version of classical, then I can toggle to the other. The problem comes when I'm reaching for the toggle button and accidentally hit the button that "searches", which is next to my toggle button, and I have to spend five minutes trying to get back to where I was and before you know it  I've got Sinatra's Greatest Hits. Even I'm not that old. And you thought texting while driving was distracting?
     Sometimes while Dennis is waiting for me in the car when I run into Wal-Mart for just one thing and I will be back in Ten Minutes,Tops! because you know how quickly you can get in and out of Wal-Mart, Dennis decides to listen to the Satellite Radio. He changes the channel to the Sixties Music site or sometimes even the Fifties Music site, (He seems to know how to do these things) and later I have to tiptoe back in time, all the way through the Forties to the Nineties, then thirteen Latin stations, including Playboy, Radio en Espanol, five different Country stations, Hard Rock, Rap, Polka, Sports, Krishna Das Yoga, Disney, Opera, and on and on. Did you know they have a whole site devoted exclusively to Elvis music? Not to mention---I am not making this up!---161 play-by-play Sports sites. I just keep pushing the search button until they get back to something I can bear or my finger is worn down to the second knuckle, whichever comes first. Usually, I'm at my destination before I find it.
     I know what you are thinking: car radios are so-o-o last century. I should have a Touch or an I-phone or something that plugs into my ear. Well, my son gave me some little square thing awhile back. It is in my dresser drawer.  I think it is a Touch, but how do you get music from the thing?  I can't even see any buttons on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment