Monday, July 11, 2011

Roll With It

When you have become An Old Wife there are some things you might as well admit to.  The fact that there are a few embarrassing moments in my life is one of them.  Just a few, of course, so that is why I've decided to hi-lite them only once a week.  When I run out, I'll tell yours too, if you give me permission.  Or you can remind me of some of mine if I---cough, cough---forget any. If you are in my Sunday School class, you may have even participated in this one.

Contrary to one of my daughter-in-law's opinion, there are some people who actually like some of my cooking. My supportive Sunday School class has always seemed  to enjoy the Cream Cheese Croissants (the rich, creamy, sugary croissants) I frequently make when it's our turn to bring the goodies on Sunday morning. They gobble them all up, they lick their fingers, they request the recipe--usually.

A year ago or so while I was baking them early in the morning the kitchen had a strong odor of garlic. Now, I'm not the best housekeeper in the world, and we had had garlic bread that week, so I figured that the oven was definitely in need of a cleaning. I didn't remember spilling garlic in there, but ya never know.

The croissants kind of had an odd taste when I cut and sampled one. It is amazing how much not cleaning the oven makes a difference in how things taste. Then at Sunday School, I noticed there were plenty of left-overs to take home and even a few napkins with half-eaten croissants surreptitiously hidden around the sink area. Nobody said a thing. Hmmm...

When we got  home I checked the packages from the trash can.  Did you know that Pillsbury makes a  garlic crescent roll now? I didn't. But now I am very careful to check the label when I buy the rolls. They all look alike except for the small print.  There's a lot in life like that. Be sure to check the small print.

Here's the real recipe.  I think I got it from a Kraft foods magazine but I have tweaked it a little. (No, not by adding garlic!)

                                                 Cream Cheese Croissants

2 cans crescent rolls                              1 T. cinnamon
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese                     1/2 c. margarine
3/4 c. sugar, divided                              1/2 c. chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 375.  Spray jelly roll pan (or sided cookie sheet) with Pam.

Gently unroll 1 can crescent rolls , keeping sections joined, press into bottom of pan.

In a bowl, combine cream cheese & 1/2 c. sugar.  Heat in microwave   45 seconds on high, then stir till smooth.  Spread evenly on crescent layer.  On a sheet of waxed paper on the counter, (won't hurt to spray it with Pam) spread out 2nd can of crescent rolls to size of bottom layer.  Lift paper carefully,  lay on top of the cream cheese mixture and peel off the paper.

Combine remaining 1/4 c. sugar, cinnamon & chopped nuts; spread evenly over dough.

Melt margarine in microwave, then pour evenly over cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Bake 20 minutes or until done.  Let cool; cut into bars.

1 comment:

  1. Love it and thanks for the recipe!!! You're so funny!

    ReplyDelete