Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gross Stuff and Other Questions

Where does snot come from, anyway?  I've had this upper-respiratory thing going on and I've used up about three boxes of tissues and filled as many trashcans and there is still more.  You blow and blow and think your head is empty (Hey! I heard that!) and then you have to blow again.  How much can there be?  How does your body make that from nothing?  It seems like you would be hollow after awhile.

And where does fat go when people lose it?  This an academic question for me, of course, but in case I ever get there, I've always wondered. What about my grey hair?  I've never seen a hair that was half grey and half colored, except on people who need a touch up really bad.  But for me, since it's  been a decade since I've colored my hair, does one red hair have to fall out before a whole grey hair comes in?  And if not, why do I need to get my hair cut every month?

What about the fact that I am an inch shorter than I used to be?  Is everything just scrunching together and someday my knees and ankles will be on top of each other?  Where did it go?  And my feet are bigger than they were years ago.  Do they just keep growing your whole life?  I've heard ears and noses do, but I'm not sure.  Don't think I want to know about that if it's true.

I don't want to ask my-son-the-scientist, because I'm sure he would tell me in minute detail and, in fact, I think he has but his explanations are beyond me.  Besides, I never know if he's telling the truth or making up gobbledygook.  And how would I know if he was?

And here's another question that I lay awake wondering about.  On an airplane there are, say, a hundred people and they bring on fifty pounds of food (back when they fed you on a plane flight.  I've been thinking of this for a long time). Then they serve the food, fifty pounds of food are gone, how much does the plane plus people plus luggage weigh then?  The same, or fifty pounds lighter?  Surely when somebody eats an eight-ounce steak they don't gain half a pound at one sitting.  Well, I do, but then I gain five pounds just looking at a menu, but I'm talking regular airplane passengers.  Nobody has ever answered that for me.

When someone has amnesia, how is it that they still remember how to talk and even read?  And when birds sleep, why don't they fall off the tree limbs?  If they just have a tight grip with their claws, you would think a good wind would send them swinging upside down like a gong in a bell.

On Facebook the other day someone asked his friends if they dreamed in color.  This is one I think I know. The answer is Yes!  Come on, before black and white television or before that, still cameras, how would some one's brain even know that there was such a thing as black and white?  People dream what they know; the world is in color.  So there.  But why do people keep asking that question?

And one last thing, something that I've wondered about for years and I don't even think my son would have the answer to this one.  Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons?

I keep wondering about these things.  Let me know if you come up with any answers.

1 comment:

  1. Here's one I've thought about Pat....what happens to the rubber off vehicle tires? Seems like streets and highways should be piled high with rubber as our tire treads go down!

    ReplyDelete