Monday, September 19, 2011

"A Helper I Will Be..."

We were walking to the elevator at the doctor's office building the other day and I had to back up a few steps to fix the picture that was hanging crooked on the wall.  Dennis couldn't stand it. "Will you stop!" he said. He always thinks I'm doing too much for other people. Please! What I can't stand is pictures that are crooked.  I had already taken care of the ones inside the doctor's office.  I'm sure people appreciate it if I adjust things for them. It's not like I carry around a carpenter's level. Okay, I used to have a small one in my purse. But I never used it when anyone could see me. And it disappeared one day. I don't know what happened to it.

I only flip sofa cushions in some one else's house if they really need it.  I'm helpful that way. I sold furniture for a long time and I know the best way to keep your sofa looking like new is to rotate the cushions and some people don't know that.  I don't actually do it if they are in the room.  And, of course, if the reason they haven't changed them is that there is a big ol' stain on one side, like at my house, I quickly turn them back the way they were. Or if I hear them coming back. I think people are grateful for the help.

Also, public places like the library should be everybody's business.  I usually pull a few weeds on my way up to the door to drop off my books.They have a lovely flower bed next to the sidewalk and just a few weeds would multiply like rabbits if we all didn't help out. Of course, I never know what to do with the weeds after I pull them, so I just lay them on the sidewalk. Maybe the people who work there will notice and be more vigilant about the weeds themselves next time.

 There aren't that many people who are helpful like I am in today's impersonal society. Like, I always reach up and tuck in the tag if it is sticking out from the back of someone's blouse. I wouldn't want to go around all day with my tag sticking out. Sometimes it even tells the size and I SURE wouldn't want that sticking out.  And what would I have done if that lady hadn't told me that my skirt was tucked into my pantyhose that time?

Of course, some people just are not taught to be grateful when they are children, I guess.  There was that one time when this man didn't seem to be very appreciative of any help.  He was standing in the line at the bank and you could tell he was probably on his way to an interview or an important meeting or something because he was all dressed up with a blue blazer and nice pants.  I'm sure he even had a tie on although there was just the back view.  Wouldn't you want to know before your interview if there was a long blond hair on the shoulder of your nice navy coat?  Someone needed to get if off before he embarrassed himself at his meeting. But, no-o-o.  You never heard such yelling and carrying on. Who could have known that hair was attached to his neck?

By the way, you don't need to mention this to Dennis. He doesn't need to know every time I help somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment