Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Things To Be Thankful For While Waiting...And Waiting

As you know, I am very careful about checking to make sure my keys are in my purse before I lock the car, and actually have to touch them again when I get out of the car and close the door.  Except when I don't.

I don't know!  I was at a store.  I saw that I had been overcharged.  I grabbed the item.  I grabbed the receipt.  I grabbed my purse. I did not grab my keys.  I clicked the button to lock the car.  I went back in the store.

They were very nice and refunded the difference that I had paid, but when I left the store and reached into my purse for the keys, no keys.  Of course, they were not in my purse, they were in the ignition of the car.  So, as it turned out, I had plenty of time to reflect on my blessings while I waited for the locksmith.  Here are some of the things I am thankful for:

I'm thankful that the store I was at had a sofa display in their entry and I had a comfortable seat to wait where I could see the car, even though the manager did come out and look at me a couple of times but I explained the situation and he said "Don't worry about it, people do it all the time," but then a homeless-looking guy came and sat down and read the paper but he didn't stay as long as I did.

I'm thankful I had my purse with me, which had my phone in it, and that my purse has a long handle which I could wrap around my arm three times and then kind of sit on it, even though the area I was in is very nice and no purse snatchers seemed to be lurking.  Of course they wouldn't look like they were lurking, would they?  They would make themselves look like regular people, then at the last second...SWOOSH!...they've got your purse.

I'm thankful it wasn't freezing outside like it was the day before because that entry way wasn't heated and even though they had some blankets on sale they had not displayed them in the entry way.

I'm thankful my daughter-in-law and sister were home so I could have somebody to talk to on the phone while I waited because the people coming in and out of the store didn't seem to want to chat.

I'm thankful Big Lots has a bathroom right in front of their entryway, even though the person who cleans it probably had not gotten to it yet because he was busy restocking shelves and changing price signs on the shelves because the reason that I got the good deal on the phone charger I bought was that the sign was still up from Black Friday, apparently, but the computer had changed the price although they honored it anyway when I went back inside to tell them I was overcharged.  Without taking my keys with me.

I'm thankful I didn't have a doctor's appointment to go to that I was going to be late for since I was spending my time lounging on the couch in the entryway of Big Lots, and that I had already dropped Dennis off at work instead of stopping at the store on the way because if I had, he would have been wa-a-y late for work and he gets a little testy when we are running late to get him to work.  Sheesh!  It's not like he punches a time clock or anything!

I'm thankful there were no bears loping around the parking lot looking in the windows or walking in front of the invisible beam that lets people in the doors because I have seen some on TV that do that.

I'm thankful we have roadside assistance even if they were very busy and couldn't get to me for an hour and when the guy got there he had to spend more time on the paperwork than he it took him to unlock the car and it was kind of disturbing that someone who knows what they were doing could get into the car that fast.  But he didn't look like he spent his off-time stealing cars.  He looked very nice. Really.  But he may have gotten my address when he was doing the paperwork.

I am NOT thankful for the greedy executives at automobile manufacturers who had the bright idea to make their car keys so that they may not be reproduced under penalty of your car shutting down if you try to insert a made-from-Ace Hardware-key in the key slot so if you want an extra key you have to buy it from them and pay half a month's mortgage payment for it.  I just want one to keep in my wallet to open the door so I can get my real keys from the ignition if I ever lock them in the car.  Which I never do.



No comments:

Post a Comment